November 18, 2008
Thanks to Bill Gilbert A famous engraving of English meeting Aboriginals is traced to NL read the Canada.com article!
Completing a very active year, Bill Gilbert has gained National attention for his discovery that a famous engraving, depicting what was thought to be an English exploration party meeting aboriginals in New England, was in fact English sailors with Beothuk Indians in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Read the whole Canada.com article.
For more information.
October 24, 2008
New Excavation Uncovers Original 17th Century Rock Wall
Since September 15th, excavations at Cupids have concentrated on the newly acquired property to the west of the previous excavation. We have uncovered a 36 ft (11 metres) long section of stone wall extending west across this property. There can be little doubt that what was uncovered is part of the north wall of the enclosure erected by the colonists in the early 17th century.
A photo and brief write-up on the wall has been posted in the "New Discoveries" section of Baccalieu Digs Website. You can go directly to "New Discoveries” by clicking on this link:
August 14, 2008
Prime Minister Stephen Harper Announces Federal Funding for Cupids 400!
Cupids played host to a visit from Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper as he announced $3 million in federal funding through the Department of Canadian Heritage for the Cupids 400 celebrations to be held in 2010. The funding will greatly contribute to the celebration of the 400th anniversary of Canada’s first English settlement. The celebration will include historical reenactments, an international conference, and various festivals and events. Residents of Cupids and other invited guests were on hand for the exciting announcement. Cupids 400 Inc. Chair Roy Dawe is eager to begin preparations for an event that will be unlike any other!
August 14, 2008
Archaeological Conference to be held in Maryland
The Council for Northeastern Historical Archaeology (CNEHA) annual general meeting and conference will be held this year in St. Mary’s City, Maryland between October 24 and October 26. St. Mary’s City was established in 1634 by the second Lord Baltimore, 13 years after his father had established his colony at Ferryland in Newfoundland. William Gilbert, chief archaeologist for the Baccalieu Trail Heritage Corporation, will attend the conference and present a paper on the archaeological discoveries made at the Cupids site since 1995.
July 30, 2008
Excavations at the Cupids Site
Excavations at Cupids began this year on July 15 and will continue until at least October 3. So far this season work has been concentrated in an area about 50 ft (15m) south of the 1610 enclosure wall where an early 18th century headstone was uncover late last year.
June 16, 2008
Cupids Site Open to Visitors
The archaeological site at Cupids opened this year on June 16 and will be open to visitors seven days a week until until October 10. Visiting hours are from 9:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. from Monday to Friday and 10:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. A tour of the site will take at least 20 minutes, so give yourself lots of time and plan to be at the site by at least 4:25 p.m.
December 12, 2007
18th Century Headstone Discovered
While conducting archaeological work at the John Guy plantation site in Cupids back in November,an exciting and totally unexpected discovery was made: an early 18th century headstone located about 50 feet south of the plantation. A photo of the stone and a short write-up has been posted on the official Baccalieu Digs website: http://www.baccalieudigs.ca/discoveries.asp
June 20, 2007
Provincial Government Announces Funding for Cupids 400
Tom Hederson, Provincial Minister of Tourism and Recreation, announced in Cupids today that the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador is committing $2.1 million in funding for the Cupids 400 celebration in 2010.